Hiring An Attorney To Help With A CR1 Or IR1 Visa

Law Blog

Getting married is usually an exciting experience, but for some couples, getting married can be one of the most frustrating experiences. For example, if someone is in love with a foreigner and moves the relationship forward by getting married, settling down together in the United States can be complicated. Basically, a CR1 or IR1 visa is required for a foreign spouse to obtain before they can immigrate to the U.S. to live with their American spouse. Obtaining a spousal visa might seem like an easy process, but the visa can get denied if it isn't applied for in the proper manner. This article explains why it is worth hiring a family immigration attorney to assist with the process of petitioning the USCIS for a CR1 or IR1 visa for a foreign spouse.

Applying for the Right Spousal Visa

One mistake that many couples make is petitioning the USCIS for the wrong type of visa for their specific situation. A marriage between a foreigner and a U.S. citizen requires obtaining a CR1 or IR1 visa, which is based on how long the couple has been married. For example, a CR1 visa is for a couple who has been married for less than two years, while an IR1 visa is for a couple who has been married longer than two years. An attorney is able to help with applying for the right visa, as well as ensure that the petition for the visa is properly filled out. You can feel secure that the right documents are sent to the USCIS if you get an attorney's help.

Help Proving Your Marriage Is Genuine

Other than filling out the right documents on your behalf, an attorney can assist with gathering the right kind of evidence. Basically, the USCIS will need evidence that can prove without a doubt that the marriage to your foreign spouse is genuine. An attorney can tell you about the specific types of evidence that should be gathered. For example, they are likely to suggest that you gather photos of you and your spouse together, as well as photos that include you both spending time with friends and family. Phone records, emails, and similar things should be included as evidence as well.

Advice for the CR1 or IR1 Visa Interview

Before your foreign spouse is issued a CR1 or IR1 visa, they will have to undergo an interview with the U.S. Embassy in their country. An attorney can speak to your spouse to let them know what to expect during the interview. They can also advise your spouse on how to dress, answer questions, and conduct themselves in general during the interview.


10 August 2021

Business Law Basics: What Small Business Owners Need to Know

When I started my first small business, I had no idea how much I really didn’t know. I was fully prepared to deal with customers, sell product and even handle complaints and returns. What I wasn’t aware of was that there is so much more to it. I was lacking the legal expertise to protect the company and myself. I wanted others to benefit from my experience, mistakes and lessons learned, so I started this blog. From employment law to the legal business contracts you’ll have to sign when you form partnerships, business law is complex. I hope that the information here will help you to be better prepared when you start your business so that you’ll know when you need to call an attorney and when you can handle things yourself.